This may be of interest to you.
Registration has opened for the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference 2012.
It is going to be held by Iowa State University, in Ames, Iowa, from February 10-12, 2012.
I went to MBLGTACC 2010 and 2011. It was an amazing experience for me… imagine being surrounded by a few thousand queers, learning more in a weekend than you may have thought possible, and meeting a ton of new people who are there for the same reasons you are.
The event is aimed at the college demographic (people who are 17-22ish), but anyone can go. MBLGTACC is what we make it, so if you are interested in seeing a workshop on, say, writing queer characters in today’s publishing world, you may want to consider leading one, or asking someone with that experience to.
For those interested in going:
- Registration costs $60 until January 3. It then costs $70 until February 7.
- Rooms in the hotels around the area costs between $60-120/night. I suggest rooming with multiple people.
- If you can’t afford a room alone, I suggest connecting to others who are going (via the MBLGTACC2012 facebook page, their twitter account, or their tumblr page) and seeing if anyone is interested in sharing.
- For those who don’t have transportation - I plan on roadtripping it with some friends. I’d suggest posting on any of MBLGTACC2012’s social media pages and seeing if anyone else is roadtripping and would be willing to split gas costs.
For educators and those who are willing to share their knowledge:
- Workshop proposals are due Friday, December 16.
- Workshops can be on any topic - I’ve seen ones covering intersectionalities, being queer and religious, religion, coming out, BDSM, bisexuality, creating college-wide coalitions, getting involved, being in a relationship with a transgender person, masculinity and homophobia, safe sex, polyamory, etc…
Anyways. MBLGTACC 2010 and 2011 were fantastic experiences for me; maybe they’d be the same for you.
Back to reading!